La Trobe Tower
Record setting project becomes Australia's tallest prefabricated building by using innovative Hickory delivery model
323 La Trobe Street, Melbourne
43 (44 including plant room)
La Trobe Tower is a 44 level residential tower (including plant room) in central Melbourne by developers Longriver Investments with design by architects Rothelowman. At 133 metres high, it is Australia’s tallest prefabricated building.
The building aesthetic pays homage to the precinct’s musical heritage, with the glass façade punctuated by fin details inspired by a tuning fork and piano keys. A common area on level 15 provides spaces for resident interaction and features a lounge, outdoor terrace, kitchenette and gymnasium.
Floor to ceiling windows allow light and city views to permeate the 206 luxury one and two bedroom apartments, which are fitted with warm timber finishes and clean, modern joinery.
- Project delivered up to 30% faster using innovative Hickory construction methodology (19 month as opposed to 26 month program)
- Compressed construction timeline achieved through introduction of integrated structural prefabrication, proprietary façade system and bathroom pods
- Extensive 3D modeling and design validation phase employing BIM software used to map structure and consolidate building spatials
- Patented interlocking façade system engineered to enable fitting of the curtain-wall façade to the structure off-site, gaining on time and quality and ensuring greater site safety
- Due to existing traffic and construction congestion on La Trobe Street, Hickory sought permission to install the large prefabricated units in the evening when trams ceased operation on the street. Permit awarded following extensive planning, community consultation and technical analysis.
- Click here for video of the installation process
- Click here for the timelapse of construction from 30 June 2015 – 02 December 2016
For more information on Hickory Building Systems and to contact us, please click here.